Monday, 5 January 2015

DIY Miniponics - Aquaponics in under 10 $


5 comments:

  1. It sounds odd but I can't find a 25 Liter container in that shape anywhere online. Am I just blind? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a water cooler bottle. You might be used to seeing them upside down on a water cooler?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can this be done indoors on a bar top? I live in SC and it gets very hot here f it can be done do I need an LED light to substitute for sunlight?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vinil,
    I built your unit and later, I then upgraded your design by turning the legs into arms which are attached just below the upper rims of the bottles and are secured with plc end caps and screws to prevent the arms from twisting (except the 3rd arm), the 3rd arm is used as a drainpipe that empties the water the planter and runs down into the fish tank. 90 degree elbows were used for the bottom parts of the arms and tees were used at the top, however...the drainpipe tee (top part) had an end cap fitted with 3 drill holes (the holes allowed air to be dragged down with the weight of the water thus creating a venturi effect), the entry point to the planter also had an end cap with holes to allow drainage (I used a tea leaf strainer to cover the drainpipe hole to prevent blockages). I glued a 20mm pvc end cap in the centre of the fish tank compartment, add a small piece (5cm) of 20mm pipe, then a 20mm tee with a hose pipe fitting and added another length of 20mm pipe that pushed through the water cooler bottle cap up into the centre of the planter. I used another 20mm end cap and drilled 4 holes into the end cap and pushed in on to the length of pipe that was pushed through the water cooler cap (very water tight fit, no glue required). Back in the fish tank compartment, I added a 3cm piece of pipe and attached to the pump and stuck the pump using its sucker cups to the side of the water tank. This created a tight fit between the wall and the centre water feed pipe. The pump had a built in vent to regulate the amount of water flow... Safety feature: After experiencing a near over flow accident, I converted the 2nd arm into a overflow pipe. Because the top of the arms were tee fittings, this allowed you to add additional planters on top by replicating the arms on the 1st planter. By the way, I have made 22 of these new units to educate my 4th graders as aquaponics kits.

    ReplyDelete